I've gone weeks without talking to another human being face to face. It's quite easy, you just fall in a daily routine and soon realize emails, text messages and phone calls are the only human interaction you've had for days. And when I do get back around people its exhausting to suddenly be overwhelmed by constant conversation and expectations to continue interacting with people.
But the truly difficult part is going back to isolation. Right after I've gotten in the habit of sharing my observations with fellow human beings and enjoy the repartee. Then I get back in this big empty house and realize there is nobody there to listen. There will be footsteps and I expect for a friend or cousin to come around the corner. And I wonder if they'll have something to share with me or if I have something to say to them. But then it is only Socrates, who is sweet, but he doesn't understand when I talk to him about the mist rolling in off the ocean and how haunting it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment